The Journey to Self through SoulCollage®

The Ego, Jung tells us, is that part of the pyche that we think of as 'I'. Our conscious intelligence. Our everyday brain that thinks, plans and runs the show of our day-to-day life. The Self, as Jung defined it, is a greater entity, which includes the Ego but also incorporates the Personal and Collective Unconscious. Dreams and intuitions come from the Self. The archetypes of the unconscious dwell there. It is, Jung believed, the sphere of the Soul ~~Steven Pressfield. 'The War of Art'

"I would love to live like a river flows,
 carried by the surprise
 of its own unfolding".

 ~ ~John O'Donohue


Wednesday, July 6, 2011

SoulCollage® Studio sessions

Work is not always required. There is such a thing as sacred idleness. 
~~ George MacDonald

On Monday evening, some of us met up for our first SoulCollage® Studio session at the Quaker House. We started by going over the basics of doing readings with our cards and everyone seemed to find something valuable from these. As most of the attendees had made only a few cards of their own, some of them drew a card from my deck and found themselves amazed at some of the insights they received from THEIR readings of MY cards. It's perfectly OK for others to read from your cards as long as you don't read the card for them or discuss YOUR interpretation with them before they read it. They will most likely have quite a different interpretation from what you had. After all, they will see a part of THEIR soul reflected in the card, while you would see reflected a part of YOURS.

For the remainder of the session, we had fun making cards.

Following the success of this first Studio session, they will now be held monthly, on the first Monday of the month, at the Brisbane Quaker Meeting House at Kelvin Grove, from 6pm to 9pm.

These sessions are not for tuition, although from time to time I will add some kind of learning experience which is not covered in my introductory workshops, or I will have a guest presenter.  Rather, they are for people who have previously attended a workshop or who have otherwise been making cards for a while, and they are designed as a forum to make cards together, to meet others who are working with the process, to share our ideas and experiences of using SoulCollage®, and to have fun! If you have a friend who's interested in finding out what SoulCollage® is about, please ask me first if it's OK for them to come along and I will make the decision as to whether that particular session is appropriate for them.  I have this rule as I don't want the sessions to become tutorials for beginners as that may interfere with the dynamics of the group.

Because of considerations of space and materials, it's essential to book with me for these sessions.

In keeping with the spirit of fun at our SoulCollage® Studio, here's my 'Goddess of Neglected Paintbrushes', a mixed media piece which I had great fun making in 2008. She hangs in my studio to remind me to take care of my equipment, and also that I don't have to be perfect.  She's also a good reminder for me about being playful and lighthearted while I'm working.

No comments: